I currently have 4 fresh, local eggplants and really want to use them before they go bad (plus I only have 2 days to cook at home before heading to the coast again this weekend). SO, I have been trying to figure out how to eat this strange spongy veggie for dinner AND breakfast. I’m not really sure why an eggplant is called an eggplant, but it did give me the idea to serve them with my eggs this morning. My creative juices were flowing at 7:00am when I made this Eggalicious Breakfast:
- 2 egg whites
- fresh cracked pepper
- tiny bit of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 eggplant, sliced 3/4in thick
- a few grape tomatoes, halved
- a little bit of minced garlic from the jar
- a few chopped fresh mint and basil leaves
- some organic 100% whole ground golden flaxseed meal – my favorite kind:
- Heat about 1 tbsp of EVOO in nonstick pan over medium
- Drizzle a little bit of EVOO on both sides of the eggplant slices (don’t use too much because it will completely absorb what you use…I just wanted them to have something for the flaxseed meal to stick to) then dust both sides with flaxseed meal
- Throw “breaded” eggplant into the pan and fry for 4 minutes on each side – or until golden brown and tender
- Flip them over and add the tomatoes and garlic to the pan to cook for another 4 minutes (or less, and be sure to move around the garlic and tomatoes so they don’t burn)
- Take everything out of the pan and put on a plate
- Turn the heat down, spray the pan with PAM, and pour in the egg whites.
- Season with fresh cracked pepper and scramble (this shouldn’t take long at all)
- When almost cooked, add a few crumbles of feta and the fresh mint and basil
- Put it on the plate with the rest and voila!
I actually ended up slicing the eggplant and mixing it all together to throw in a cup and eat on the way to work….it wasn’t pretty, but it was such a good breakfast. Full of protein, fiber, omega 3 fats. It also had so much flavor from the garlic, mint, basil and feta.
Lunch wasn’t as exciting, but it was good! I made a Flatout turkey wrap with arugula and yellow mustard to eat at work.
Planning on enjoying a run and some power yoga after work today, but we shall see how that goes. I really want to finish posting about last weekend…catch ya later.